DOWNLOAD THE BELOW RECIPES AS A PDF >
Za’atar spiced chickpea salad with ricotta and quinoa (serves 4)
Per serve: 421cal/ 20g protein/ 41g carbohydrate/ 17g fat
(note – this recipe is a repeat, with serving sizes altered to serve 4)
- 400g butternut pumpkin
- 1 large red onion, quartered and peeled
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thickly
- 1 yellow capsicum, sliced thickly
- 400g baby carrots, trimmed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 tbs Za’atar OR Dukkah (i.e. Table of Plenty brand in supermarkets)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar (or apple cider)
- 200g ricotta (or 100g fetta cheese, or 2tbs mixed seeds for vegans)
- Fresh mint leaves and balsamic vinegar, to serve
- 2 microwave cups of Quinoa, to serve
- 500g Fresh salad greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220C. Cut pumpkin (unpeeled) into thin wedges, then cut in half horizontally. Prick pumpkin with a knife, to speed up cooking process. Place onion, pumpkin, capsicums and carrot in a single layer on a large baking tray lined with baking paper (use two trays if you can’t have a single layer of vegetables). Drizzle with 1-2tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 40min until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine chickpeas, drained, with a drizzle of olive oil and the Za’atar/Dukkah. Add to the vegetable baking tray in the remaining 15 minutes of cooking. Stir through the vegetables and return to the oven for remaining 15 minutes.
- When ready, divide vegetables between 4, sprinkle with ricotta and fresh mint, and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve each portion with half a cup of quinoa and a handful of fresh salad greens
Male adaptation: Use 4 microwave cups quinoa
– Per serve: 506cal/ 24g protein/ 56g carbohydrates/ 18g fat
*GF adaptation: Use table of plenty dried spices dukkah pistachio
Brown Rice Nasi Goreng (Serves 4) – Repeated recipe, view Week 3
Mixed Vegetable and Ricotta Frittata (serves 4)
Per serve: 319cal/ 25g protein/ 19g carbohydrate/ 14g fat
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 300g baby spinach leaves, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 punnetof cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 8 eggs
- extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh herbs (i.e. dill, chives, basil) or 2tbs dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 200g reduced-fat fresh ricotta (or use low fat fetta)
- 4 slices Burgen bread
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl, cover with 1tbs water. Cover bowl with clingwrap, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Drain. Or – use a vegetable steamer.
- Add small drizzle of oil to a pan on high heat. Sautee tomatoes, zucchini and capsicum for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add the sweet potato and spinach, cook until the leaves start to wilt.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, and fresh/dried herbs. Pour into pan on top of vegetables. Crumble over ricotta. Transfer pan to oven, andbake for 20 -25 minutes or until set. Or – use a frittata dish.
- Serve the frittata with a slice of Burgen soy-lin bread and dressed spinach leaves
Male adaptation: Serve with 1 extra slice Burgen bread
– Per serve: 390cal/ 30g protein/ 27g carbohydrates/ 16g fat
*GF adaptation: Swap Burgen bread to Burgen soy and linseed gluten free bread
Healthy Falafel with Harissa yoghurt (serves 4)
Per serve: 356cal/ 15g protein/ 34g carbohydrate/ 15g fat
- 400g can chickpeas
- 2 tbs mixed seeds
- 1 large carrot
- ½ red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup coriander and/or parsley
- 6 tablespoons wholegrain flour (or gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Pinch dried chilliflakes or fresh chilli (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ cup Chobani 0.5% yogurt
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- Chopped Israeli salad, to serve (x1 diced cucumber, x2 diced tomato, x1 diced red capsicum – dressed with ½ tbs olive oil and lemon juice)
- Preheat an oven to 180C.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dab with a paper towel to remove extra moisture, then place in the bowl of a food processor and turn on, stopping when a paste-like consistency is formed. Transfer into another bowl and add the seeds.
- Add carrot, ½ red onion, 3 garlic cloves, and ½ cup coriander/parsley to the bowl of the food processor; pulse until ground fine. Scrap into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Stir in 6 tablespoons flour, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and a pinch chilli(optional). Mix with a spoon until combined.
- With your hands, form small falafel balls and place them on a plate. Pan fry for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through and firm
- To make the harissa yogurt, combine ½ cup greekyogurt with 2 tablespoons harissa and 2 pinches salt. Serve the patties with harissa yogurt, chopped Israeli salad and small wholemeal pita/wrap (optional)
Male adaptation: Small wholemeal pita or wrap to serve
– Per serve: 540cal/ 22g protein/ 68g carbohydrates/ 16g fat
*GF adaptation: use wholegrain gluten free wraps (i.e. BFree available at Woolworths). And choose gluten free flour