DOWNLOAD THE BELOW RECIPES AS A PDF >
Lamb and chickpea salad (serves 4)
Per serve: 314cal/ 31g protein/ 17g carbohydrate/ 12g fat
- 2 lamb backstrap fillet
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1tsp garlic salt
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 punnet continental parsley, roughly chopped (or use other green leaves like spinach)
- 80g fetta, crumbled
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- Rub the lamb fillet with the ground cumin, garlic salt and pepper. Heat half the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the fillet for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest.
- Meanwhile in a large salad bowl combine the onion, tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley/salad greens and feta. Toss together with the remaining olive oil and vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the salad topped with half a lamb fillet, sliced.
Male adaptation: Serve with 1 cup cooked quinoa (or microwave cup brown rice/quinoa) per serve
– Per serve: 505cal/ 39g protein/ 48g carbohydrates/ 15g fat
Za’atar spiced chickpea salad with ricotta and quinoa (serves 4)
Per serve: 421cal/ 20g protein/ 41g carbohydrate/ 17g fat
- 400g butternut pumpkin
- 1 large red onion, quartered and peeled
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thickly
- 1 yellow capsicum, sliced thickly
- 400g baby carrots, trimmed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 tbs Za’atar OR Dukkah (i.e. Table of Plenty brand in supermarkets)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar (or apple cider)
- 200g ricotta (or 100g fetta cheese, or 2tbs mixed seeds for vegans)
- Fresh mint leaves and balsamic vinegar, to serve
- 2 cups of cooked Quinoa (or 2 microwave cups of brown rice/quinoa blend)
- 500g fresh salad greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220C. Cut pumpkin (unpeeled) into thin wedges, then cut in half horizontally. Prick pumpkin with a knife, to speed up cooking process. Place onion, pumpkin, capsicums and carrot in a single layer on a large baking tray lined with baking paper (use two trays if you can’t have a single layer of vegetables). Drizzle with 1-2tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 40min until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine chickpeas, drained, with a drizzle of olive oil and the Za’atar/Dukkah. Add to the vegetable baking tray in the remaining 15 minutes of cooking. Stir through the vegetables and return to the oven for remaining 15 minutes.
- When ready, divide vegetables between 4, sprinkle with ricotta and fresh mint, and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve each portion with half a cup of quinoa and a handful of fresh salad greens
Male adaptation: Prepare 4 cups of cooked quinoa (or use 4 microwave cups)
– Per serve: 521cal/ 24g protein/ 55g carbohydrates/ 20g fat
*GF adaptation: Use table of plenty dried spices dukkah pistachio
Brown Rice Nasi Goreng (Serves 4) – See Week 3
Poached chicken with kale and pistachio pesto (serves 4)
Per serve: 349cal/ 34g protein/ 7g carbohydrate/ 19g fat
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 300g Chopped Kale
- ½ cup pistachio nuts
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends removed, halved
- 1 large handful of sugar snap peas
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the poached chicken, slice the chicken breasts in half lengthways, then place in a pot and fill with water until covered. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until just cooked through (careful not to overcook!). Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and allow to cool slightly before slicing.
- Meanwhile, make the sauteed greens. Place half the chopped kale, asparagus and sugar snap peas in a pan and sautee with 1tbs olive oil until slightly softens – about 5-6 minutes.
- Lastly, make the pesto. Add half the chopped kale, basil leaves, pistachios, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste into a food processor. Then, add 2 tbs each of water and olive oil and blitz until a paste forms. Add a touch more water if needed, to reach desired consistency. It should resemble a paste.
- Assemble sliced poached chicken, 2 tbs pesto and sauteed greens onto a plate.
Male adaptation: Serve with 1 microwave cup brown rice and quinoa blend
– Per serve: 579cal/ 38g protein/ 50g carbohydrates/ 21g fat
*GF adaptation: non required