Week Six – Vegetarian
DOWNLOAD THE BELOW RECIPES AS A PDF >
Vegetarian Nicoise Salad (serves 4)
316cal/ 21g protein/ 29g carbohydrate/ 10g fat
- 600g baby Carismapotatoes, halved (from Coles)
- 400g green beans, trimmed
- 400g butter beans
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Spanish Onion, finely sliced
- 2 baby Cos lettuces (can buy in Coles, in a bag), shredded
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & quartered
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijonmustard
- To make the dressing, whisk oil, vinegar and mustard in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Alternatively, use Praise 100% fat free French Dressing or balsamic vinegar.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add beans to pot. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes or until bright green and just tender, then drain and refresh under cold water. Add beans to potato.
- Add butter beans, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, eggs and olives (optional) to potato and green bean mixture. Add 2 tsp dressing to your single serve (leftover salad will keep for another 3 days). Toss gently to combine and season with salt and pepper to serve.
Male adaptation: Serve with 1 Mission wholemeal pita
– Per serve: 528cal/ 27g protein/ 59g carbohydrates/ 17g fat
*GF adaptation: non required
Chunky vegetable soup (serves 4)
Per serve: 374cal/ 23g protein/ 48g carbohydrate/ 5g fat
- 1L vegetable stock
- 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin of kidney beans, drained
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups of diced butternut pumpkin
- 300g baby spinach leaves. washed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Burgen soy-lin bread
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a soup pot, and add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until soft.
- Add the carrot, celery, zucchini, broccoli and pumpkin to the pot and cover with the vegetable stock and tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil, the reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the chickpeas and kidney beans, spinach/silverbeet to the soup pot. Cook for 2 minutes or until leaves have wilted.
- Serve with 1 slice Burgen soy-lin bread*
Male adaptation: Serve with 2 slices Burgen bread instead of 1
– Per serve: 445cal/ 28g protein/ 56g carbohydrates/ 7g fat
*GF adaptation: Use Massel liquid stock and Swap Burgen bread to Burgen soy and linseed gluten free bread available at Woolworths
Easy Tofu Sweet Chili stir fry (serves 4) – Repeated recipe, refer to week 2
Bean Nachos with Chilli Guacamole (Serves 2)
Per serve: 401cal/ 17g protein/ 45g carbohydrate/ 16g fat
- 2 Mission wholemeal Pitas
- 2tsp olive oil
- ½ brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicums, finely chopped
- ½ can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup of fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ large avocado, mashed
- 1 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chobani plain 0.5% Greek yogurt
- 300g mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180o Cut bread into triangles, spray with olive oil spray (or drizzle with 2tsp olive oil) and place onto a baking tray. Bake for five minutes or until crisp and lightly golden.
- Add oil to pan over medium heat. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add beans and ½ cup of water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in coriander and season with ground black pepper.
- Combine avocado and chilli in a small bowl. Arrange chips around the edge of the plates, and spoon bean mixture into the centre. Top with avocado mixture and one tablespoon each of sour cream to serve.
- Serve with a small side salad to boost your vegetable intake for the day
*GF adaptation: use wholegrain gluten free wraps (i.e. BFree available at Woolworths)
Healthy falafel salad (serves 4) – Repeated recipe refer to week 1
Healthy Vegetarian Pizza (serves 2) – Repeated recipe refer to week 4