DOWNLOAD THE BELOW AS A PDF >
French Toast (serves 1)
Per serve: 376cal/ 25g protein/ 55g carbohydrate/ 4g fat
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 2x sliced of Burgen bread (any variety)
- ½ cup low fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup frozen berries
- 1tsp of honey (optional)
- Combine egg and milk in a bowl
- Dip the bread in the milk and egg mixture and make sure bread is totally covered in mixture
- Transfer bread to a pan and cook on both sides for a few minutes or until browning
- Remove from pan
- Add yoghurt, berries and sprinkle honey and cinnamon on top and serve
*For GF option: use gluten free bread instead of wholemeal bread
Male adaptation: Serve with a 1 banana and ¾ cup yoghurt
– Per serve: 500cal/ 35g protein/ 78g carbohydrates/ 5g fat
Chicken Noodle Stir Fry (serves 3)
Per serve: 350cal/ 42g protein/ 23g carbohydrate/ 8g fat
- 400g chicken breast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce*
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mirin*
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled, finely grated (or 1 tsp ginger paste)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Chilliflakes (add to desired amount)
- 150g packet Obento instant ramen noodles*
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 150g green beans, trimmed
- 150g snow peas, trimmed
- 250g baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, to garnish
- Place chicken breast in a large bowl. Combine soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic and chilliflakes in a small bowl. Pour soy marinade over chicken, turn to coat and leave to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare noodles according to packet direction, then set aside
- Drain chicken, reserving soy marinade. Set a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and 1tsp olive oil to pan; cook for 3–4 minutes per side, or until chicken is just cooked. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium–high heat. Add green vegies (except spinach) and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add reserved soy marinade and lemon juice with 1 tablespoon water; toss. Cover frying pan and steam for 1 minute, or until green veg are tender yet crisp. Toss baby spinach and noodles through vegies.
- Slice chicken. Divide noodles and veg among serving bowls; top with chicken, garnish with coriander and serve.
For GF options: Ensure brands of soy-sauce and mirin are gluten free. Swap egg noodles for gluten-free vermicelli noodles (e.g. Wai Wai or Chang’s rice noodles or Kan Tong’s thin rice noodles).
Zucchini Mushroom Frittata (serves 3)
Per serve: 276cal/ 23g protein/ 3g carbohydrate/ 19g fat
- Olive oil spray
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 300g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh parsley
- 1 1/2tbs fresh mint
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 75g feta, crumbled
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and spray with oil. Sautegarlic, zucchini and mushrooms for a few minutes until softened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, mint, salt and pepper, then pour mixture into pan. Top with feta and cook for a few minutes until set.
- Remove from heat and serve with a handful of mixed salad leaves dressed with lemon juice
Male adaptation: Add 1 slice of Burgen bread per serve (GF if needed)
Per serve: 352cal/29g protein/16g carbohydrate/22g fat
Lamb Kofta Fattoush (serves 2)
Per serve: 290cal/ 30g protein/ 13g carbohydrate/ 12g fat
- 250g lean lamb mince
- 1 tbs ground cumin (or according to taste)
- 1 tbs sweet paprika (or according to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 250g baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- ½ tbs extra-virgin olive oil+ ½ tbs extra
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 2 small wholemeal pita
- Place mince, cumin, paprika, garlic salt and coriander in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until well combined. Divide mixture into 8 portions. Roll into 12cm-long sausages.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat with ½ tbs olive oil. Add koftas and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Combine spinach, parsley, mint, cucumber, capsicum, tomato and green onion tops in a large bowl. Drizzle with ½ tbs of oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with sumac. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- For pitas, place in the oven under grill for a few minutes on both sides until toasted and crisp, break into large pieces and combine with salad.
*For GF option: swap wholemeal for a wholegrain gluten free wrap
Homemade Toasted Muesli (serve ¼ cup -W, or ½ cup -M)
Per serve (¼ cup Muesli with 200g Chobani 0.5% Greek yoghurt):
260cal/ 23g Protein/ 22g carbohydrate/ 7.5g fat
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2tbs each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup shaved coconut
- ¼ cup each of chopped almonds and macadamias
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dessert spoon of honey
- 1/4 cup each of diced dried apricot and apple, and raisins
- 1 cup All Bran cereal
- 200g low fat Greek yoghurt per serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C. With your hands, combine oats, seeds, coconut and almonds in a bowl with olive oil and honey. Spread mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from tray and allow to cool.
- Stir through muesli mix the dried fruit and All Bran. Store in an airtight container
Male adaptation; Use ½ cup muesli per serve
Per serve: 399 cal/26g protein/36g carbohydrate/14g fat
Convenience option: We recommend using ¼ cup (W) or ½ cup (M) Carmen’s Original fruit free muesli with 1tbs trail mix
For GF option: use ¼ cup Food for Health fruit free clusters (or ½ cup for men), adding 1tbs trail mix per serve
Thai Tuna Fishcakes (serves 2)
Per serve: 360cal/ 51g protein/ 17g carbohydrate/ 9g fat
- 200g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2x 180g tin tuna in springwater
- 2 spring onions, green part only, finely sliced
- 50g green beans, trimmed & cut into 1cm slices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tbs green curry paste
- 1/3 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups of Asian coleslaw (pre-packed from supermarket), dressed with lemon juice and ½ tsp olive oil, to serve
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1tbs fish sauce*
- 1tbs water
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- Place potato in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Continue to simmer until potato has softened. Drain and mash.Alternatively, steam in microwave
- Add drained tuna, spring onion, beans, egg, curry paste and coriander and mix well.
- Divide mixture into six patties. Sprinkle both sides with sesame seeds. Chill for 20 minutes (optional).
- Heat oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Cook cakes for 5 minutes each side or until golden.
- Meanwhile combine dipping sauce ingredients (except chilli) and stir well until sugar has dissolved, then add chilli.
- Serve x3 cakes per serve with dipping sauce, and a large handful of Asian coleslaw.
For GF option: ensure brand of fish sauce is gluten free such as Ayam
Vegetarian Lasagne (serves 4)
Per serve: 323cal/ 15g protein/ 55g carbohydrates/ 4g fat
- 4 San Remo wholemeal lasagneSheets*
- Quarter Jap pumpkin
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 cup low fat grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 jar pasta sauce (i.e. Five Brothers Tomato Basil)
- Handful of mixed salad leaves, dressed with lemon juice, to serve
- Slice the eggplant and pumpkin into 2cm thick slices, keep or remove the pumpkin skin according to your preference. Line up on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper, and cook at 180 degrees in the oven for 20 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce mix, heat a large pan on the stove with olive oil. Dice the onion and zucchini. Add the onion to the pan first. When it starts to soften, add the zucchini. When both vegetables start to soften, add tinned tomatoes and pasta sauce. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pumpkin and eggplant from the oven. In your chosen lasagnedish, layer first the sauce mix, then the pumpkin, then the lasagna (you will need two lasagna sheets side by side to create a single layer). Repeat, using eggplant instead of pumpkin. Top the second layer of lasagna sheet with remaining sauce (if you run out, use remaining bottled pasta sauce).
- Sprinkle with low fat grated cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese in golden. Serve with salad leaves and lemon juice
For GF option: use San remo gluten free lasagne sheets, and GF tomato-based pasta sauce