DOWNLOAD THE BELOW AS A PDF >
Shakshuka eggs (serves 2)
Per serve: 342cal / 21g protein / 28g carbohydrate / 13g fat
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 red capsicum, deseeded & diced
- 1/2 yellow capsicum, deseeded & diced
- 1/2 green capsicum, deseeded & diced
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 slice of Burgen bread, toasted, to serve
- Heat frypan with the oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and paprika and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add diced capsicum and cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then cover and continue to simmer for around 25 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir through parsley.
- Make 2 holes in the mixture and add the eggs. Cover and continue to cook until eggs are cooked.
- Serve with a slice of Burgen bread toast
GF adaptation: Serve with a slice of Burgen GF bread
Spiced Chicken, Tabbouleh and Tahini Yoghurt (serves 6)
Per serve: 525cal/ 40g protein/ 35g carbohydrates/ 23g fat
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained(or 4 microwave cups of brown rice and quinoa blend)
- 1 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 500g spinach, finely shredded
- 5 cup fresh herbs, such as parsley or mint, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 700g skinless chicken breast fillet
- 1tbs ground cumin
- 1tbs ground paprika
- 1tbs dried thyme
- 250g Greek-style yoghurt
- 1tbs of tahini*
- Mint leaves, to serve
- Lemon zest, to serve
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and 1 cup (250ml) water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 10-15 mins or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Alternatively, use 4 microwave cups and prepare according to direction
- Place the quinoa in a large bowl. Add the cucumber, tomato, spinach, herbs (if using), 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and half the oil. Toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken, paprika, thyme, cumin and remaining oil in a large bowl
- Heat a chargrill pan on medium. Cook the chicken for 4 mins each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 mins to rest. Thickly slice.
- Combine yoghurt, tahini, 1 tablespoon water and remaining lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the quinoa tabbouleh among serving plates. Top with the chicken and drizzle with yoghurt mixture. Sprinkle with mint leaves and lemon zest.
Male adaptation: Serve with a slice of Burgen toast OR increase quinoa in recipe to 1 1/2 cups (or use 6 microwave cups). You will need to increase the water used for cooking to 1.5 cups.
– Per serve: 598cal/ 44g protein/ 50g carbohydrates/ 24g fat
For GF option: ensure tahini is a gluten free brand e.g. Mayver’s
For convenience – use 2 microwave cups of cooked quinoa for women and 3 for men
Bircher Muesli (serves 2)
Per serve: 316cal/13g protein/32g carbohydrate/ 14g fat
- ¾ cup Carmen’s birchermuesli mix
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 2 heaped tbs low fat Greek yoghurt (1 per serve)
- 1 cup frozen berries (1/2 cup per serve)
- 20 almonds (10 per serve)
Combine bircher muesli mix and milk divide into 2 small containers, and leave overnight to soak. In the morning, take one serve and top with yoghurt, nuts and berries.
*For GF option: substitute Carmen’s bircher muesli mix for Food for health Gluten free muesli
Thai Beef Stir Fry (serves 4)
Per serve: 350cal/ 51g protein/ 7g carbohydrates/ 12g fat
- 2 tsp oil (olive/rice bran)
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 500g beef strips
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded & sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded & sliced
- 8 large leaves of kale, stems removed, chopped finely
- 2 tbs fish sauce*
- 1tsp Garden Gourmet Thai tube paste
- 2 lime, juiced
- 2 small red chilli, deseeded & thinly sliced
- 4 tbs toasted peanuts
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add olive/rice bran oil and heat until hot. Cook beef until browned and cooked. Remove from wok and set aside in a warm place.
- Add sesame oil, kale and capsicum to wok, and cook until vegetables are tender. Return beef to wok with fish sauce and 12 basil leaves (or paste) and cook for another minute to warm through.
- Serve with lime juice, extra basil leaves (if using), red chilliand peanuts
*For GF option: ensure brand of fish sauce is gluten free (i.e. Ayam)
Male adaptation: Serve with a 1 cup of microwave basmati rice
– Per serve: 630cal/ 53g protein/ 60g carbohydrates/ 13g fat
Lemongrass Salmon with Asian Greens and Basmati Rice (serves 2)
Per serve: 511cal / 37g protein / 21g carbohydrate / 30g fat
- 2x 150g salmon fillets, skin on
- 1tbs soy sauce
- ½ tsp grated ginger, or ginger paste
- 1 crushed garlic clove or ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp Creative gourmet lemongrass paste
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, optional
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 heads of bok choy, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 handful of green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 microwave cup of basmati rice
- In a large ziplock plastic bag, add the salmon fillet, tamari sauce, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chilli (optional). Close the bag and shake contents to roughly coat the salmon. If you have time, marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, but this isn’t necessary.
- Heat barbeque or grill pan to medium, and grease lightly with oil. Place the salmon on the grill/pan, skin side down. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until skin becomes crisp. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked to your liking. It tastes great a little bit pink.
- Add the bok choy and beans to the same grill/pan as the salmon and cook for a total of 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Alternatively, steam the green vegetables
- Serve salmon with vegetables and ½ microwave cup of basmati rice
*For GF option: Use gluten free tamari sauce
Brown Rice Nasi Goreng (serves 4)
Per serve: 365cal/ 22g protein/ 30g carbohydrate/ 15g fat
- 350g firm tofu, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 small brown onion, sliced
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli (gai lan), halved lengthways and chopped into 5cm lengths
- 1/2 small tin/packet of baby corn, halved lengthways
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, grated, or 1tsp ginger paste
- 1 cloves of garlic, or 1tsp garlic paste
- Chilli, fresh or flakes (optional, add to your liking)
- 2 microwave brown basmati rice cups or 2 cups of cooked regular brown basmati rice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs crushed peanuts
- Boil eggs to your liking (bring to the boil, then wait a further 4 minutes for runny yolk, 6 minutes for soft yolk, 10 minutes for hard yolk).
- While eggs are cooking, lightly grease a pan with olive oil, and sautee the onions until soft. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli (if using). Remove from pan and transfer into a bowl.
- Add sesame oil to the pan, then add the diced tofu and mushrooms – sautee for 5 minutes, or until cooked.
- Add the chinese broccoli, baby corn and soy/tamari – cook until leaves on broccoli are wilted.
- Meanwhile, shell the eggs and cook the rice according to direction, if using microwave sachet (if cooking rice from fresh, start this at step 1).
- Assemble ¼ of the rice and vegetable + tofu mixture in bowls, and top with 1 boiled egg and crushed peanuts. Add extra fresh chilli and soy sauce/tamari, if desired.
*For GF option: Use gluten free tamari sauce.
Male adaptation: Serve each meal with a full cup of microwave brown rice instead of half a cup
– Per serve: 494cal/ 55g protein/ 82g carbohydrates/ 16g fat
Homemade Beef Burgers (serves 2)
Per serve: 420cal/ 37g protein/ 39g carbs/ 12g fat
- 2 Wholegrain rolls* (i.e. Baker’d Delight Capeseed)
- 4 slices Beetroot
- ½ cup Shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded Lettuce
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- ¼ red onion, diced, plus ¼ extra (optional)
- 250g lean minced beef
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or oat bran*
- 1tbs mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Thin spread of avocado, mustard, tomato sauce or low-fat mayo
- Side of garden salad (optional)
- Fry the ¼ diced onion in ½ tsp olive oil until translucent.
- Combine the cooked onion with minced meat with breadcrumbs/oat bran, herbs, salt, pepper, and egg. Using your hands, form two large burger patties
- Heat oil in pan. Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking
- Assemble the burger in the rolls with salad fillings and thin spread of choice
- Serve with a side salad (optional)
*For GF option: use Genius or Helgas gluten free rolls. Use GF breadcrumbs.
For convenience: Use kangaroo burger patties instead of homemade.